Feb 17, 2009

online drawing exercise

 This drawing is an interpretation of memory and how drawing relates to it. I began testing out how memory could be used as inspiration for drawing by detecting a specific memory from my own experience and mapping out how that memory made me feel. From there the feelings created by this memory led to such formal qualities of any art making such as composition and color choice. Though I agree with the article and description of memory within the website and this dichotomy between long and short term memory and how it allows for perspective, whether it is "faulty" or objective seems besides the point to me. We are human creatures who live inside our own minds and it is through art in my opinion that we discover perspective not create it. I view the drawing process as a more sensory mode by which we can discover parts of ourselves. In this way I agree with the article's ideas about sensory memory deposits and their ability to be "lazy" or fall in the often times gray area of "preconception." For me, however, this seems unworthy of analysis because it is this rearrangement and confusion of thought as it pertains to memory that makes an artist's work so dynamic and interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment